Beets are an amazing source of healthy nutrients and minerals. It comes with various health benefits including increase stamina, prevents cancer, has the ability to lower blood pressure, treat anaemia, boost libido and cleanse the liver.
Learn some of the great benefits of adding this colorful vegetable to your diet!
Beets and health benefits:
1. Beets are high in many vitamins and minerals: Beets are rich in fiber, iron, beta-cyanine, potassium, phosphorous, folic acid, magnesium, vitamin A, B, C and beta-carotene.
Beets are particularly beneficial to pregnant women, as the presence of iron and vitamin B in beets are very beneficial as they help in the growth of new cells during pregnancy and replenishes iron in the woman’s body.
Also since beets contains vitamin B, folate which helps in the development of infant’s spinal column. Deficiency of folate could lead to a condition called neural tube defect.
2. Beets help your mental health: Beets contain betaine, the same substance that is used in certain treatments of depression.
It also contains tryptophan, which relaxes the mind and creates a sense of well-being, similar to chocolate. Beets can also lower your blood pressure.
3. Beets are high in carbohydrates which means they are a great instant energy source, but unlike processed foods which are high in carbohydrates, bets will energize your body. Beets can be regarded as body fuel.
4. Various studies have revealed that beets are good in preventing colon cancer, as it contains the pigment betacyanins, which counteracts cancer. Nitrates used in meats as preservatives, cause the production of nitrosamines compounds in the body resulting in cancer.
Studies reveal that beet juice inhibits the cell mutations caused by these compounds. Researchers in Hungary have also discovered that beet juice and its powdered form slows down tumour development.
5. Beetroot is a source of vitamin C which helps to prevent asthma symptoms. The natural beta-carotene in beetroot also helps to prevent lungs cancer.
6. You would be glad to know that flavonoids and vitamin C in beets help to support the structure of capillaries.
7. The presence of beta-carotene (vitamin A) helps to prevent age-related blindness called cataract in an easy way.
8. Beets are great for the liver as well. Betaines contained in the beet juice stimulate the functions of the liver.
9. You would be glad to know that beta-carotene present in beets helps you avoids macular degeneration. So do include them in your regular diet.
10. Moreover consuming beets on a regular basis helps in providing an adequate amount of potassium to your body which tremendously reduces the risk of stroke in the body.
So, if you still not included Beets on your regular diet then you should now. In this era of COVID-19, having good immunity always help.